Saturday 30 March 2013

A Very Special Saturday

About half an hour ago, I was just sitting down to eat lunch when there was a knock on the front door. I looked at hubby. Hubby looked at me. With a sigh, I got up to go and answer it, preparing a polite but firm 'no' to whoever it was trying to sell us a better deal for our gas and electric, or telling us why we should donate to XYZ charity, or… you get the idea.

But when I opened the door, it was the postman. He handed me an envelope with this written on the front:


And inside…?

(Apologies for blurriness - photo was taken with my phone!)
I decided I wanted to be a published author when I was 13. If you'd told my 13-year-old self, already starry-eyed with dreams of success as she scribbled her first novel, that it was going to take almost *cough*twenty*cough* years to achieve that dream, she'd probably have been horrified.

Luckily, she had no idea it was going to take that long, which is why she kept going, writing story after story, wondering if the next book was going to be The One, or the next…

And now, I'm sitting here holding my very first finished copy of my very first published novel, which is coming out from Random House in three weeks and five days.

So if you're a writer, spending every spare minute of your time dreaming up characters and plots; if your stories keep you awake at night; if you're wondering you'll ever get that 'yes' from an agent or publisher…

Keep going.

Because if I can do it, so can you.

35 comments:

  1. It is BEAUTIFUL. Congratulations, Emma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful, and I love the note on the front of the envelope! The whole thing -- including the background you wrote about here -- is such an inspiration. Good luck, and happy pub day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful moment!! You'll never forget that knock on the door. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is such an awesome moment! Go Emma!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're an inspiration Emma, great note by your name too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Really thrilled for you.The book looks amazing. Enjoy every single moment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's gorgeous, congratulations! So chuffed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's beautiful, Emma, Congrats! Best feeling in the world, holding your first FINISHED book! Can't wait to get my hands on a copy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Keary! It really is, isn't it?!

      Delete
  9. Eeeee!!! Congratulations! It looks beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. HUGE congratulations! It is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this post, ive got teary eyed reading it. Ive readit out to my mum and we are so happy and excited for you. You deserve great success Emma, and I can't wait to see how the next year unfolds for you. Oh and I CAN'T WAIT to read that book x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Claire. You have no idea how much that means to me! xx

      Delete
  12. It's all bright and shiny and so well deserved. Less than a month to your book launch and I'm counting the days xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lynn. Can't wait to see you there! xx

      Delete
  13. well done Emma looking forward to your book launch and reading your book,enjoy every moment .

    ReplyDelete
  14. Emma! Congratulations :DDD This is an amazing moment, and well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Emma - how wonderful! Do you sit and gawp at it, like we do with new babies? Will you have a party?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo! Yes, I have been gawping at it a bit… :o)

      Delete
  16. Eeeh!!!No fair I want a finished copy too!!! >.< You're soo lucky Emma I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete