Sunday 22 July 2012

Book Bashing, Back to School (Again!) & Four More Books for 2012

Usually, I chill out on Sundays. Get up late (well, as late as The Hound will let me, which isn't that late, but, y'know), drink coffee, read and generally ignore my to-do list. This time last week, however, found me getting up at stupid o'clock and prising hubby out of bed to drive me over to Matlock, where I'd volunteered to help out at the Big Book Bash. It took a few cups of tea, but I eventually got us both upright with eyes open (sort of), and off we went.

The Big Book Bash, a day of workshops and author talks, has been taking place since 2004 and is aimed at children in care and their foster families. I was there in my day-job capacity and was looking after Annabel Pitcher, author of the amazing MY SISTER LIVES ON THE MANTELPIECE. After meeting my teenage helper Molly I went to help set out the room where Annabel would be giving her talk (which basically entailed trying to figure out how to level a projector with a wonky foot, and hoping the laptop attached to it didn't crash, as I had no idea how to work it). Then it was off to find Annabel and show her to the authors' green room before the Big Book Bash was declared officially open.

Annabel's talk was fantastic - it was so interesting to hear about how she came up for the idea for her book while she was travelling with her husband, and how she started writing it in the middle of the night, and had to tie a sock round his head because she needed the light on, but he was trying to sleep! I can't wait to read her forthcoming novel KETCHUP CLOUDS, which is out at the end of the year.

In the afternoon, I got to sit in on a teenage fiction panel with Annabel and two of my other favourite authors, Phil Earle and Ruth Warburton. The talk was great, and I enjoyed chatting to them afterwards, too (thanks, Phil, for the second-book-nerves reassurance). I came home with a pile of signed books and a huge grin on my face. Events like this are why I love my day job!

So after that, you'd think I'd let myself have an easy day, right? Well, not exactly. Because on Monday I was booked in to do my second ever school visit (you can read more about the first one here). This time it was closer to home, at Brookfields Community School in Chesterfield, where I was doing an author talk and running a workshop for 13 members of their creative writing group. After a warm welcome from head of English Kate Foster, I was taken to the library to meet the group. I started by telling them a bit about how I started writing, and read them the first chapter of ACID. I was pleased with the good reaction it got, as I've read it sooo many times now, I'm starting to wonder how anyone else can possibly find it interesting - I forget that to other people, it's brand new!

After that, we did a warm-up exercise on the theme of 'Lottery'. The scenarios everyone came up with were all so different. One group member even wrote something that had a sci-fi twist, which contained some really powerful imagery.

Once everyone who wanted to had shared their work, we did some work on character building, then had a break for chocolate biscuits (vitally important to the creative process). Finally, I talked about story-writing and got the group to start writing the opening scenes of a story, using the characters they'd created earlier on. Unfortunately there wasn't time for me to hear what they'd written, but the group were loads of fun, and their talent levels were through the roof. A big thank you to Kate and the group for inviting me to talk to them, and I hope I'll be seeing their books on the shelves one day!

Finally, I thought it was about time I added some more books to my 20 Books for 2012 page, so here they are:

SAVING DAISY by Phil Earle
This is Phil's second book and is just as gritty and hard-hitting as his first, BEING BILLY. I remember getting through it in just a few days, desperate to find out what was going to happen next even though I was reading it through my fingers at some points. If you love honest, unflinching contemporary YA fiction, this is definitely the book for you!

MY SISTER LIVES ON THE MANTELPIECE by Annabel Pitcher
Another heart-breaker - you can see why it was shortlisted for the Carnegie medal and has just won the Bransford Boase award. From beginning to end, the story never goes quite where you expect it to, keeping you hanging on until the very last word.

A WITCH IN WINTER by Ruth Warburton
A very different sort of book (and the first in a trilogy - hurrah!), spooky and atmospheric with a paranormal plot. I love that it's set in Cornwall, as I lived there for 3 years, and the descriptions of the towns and landscapes made me feel extremely nostalgic! And I just adore the cover.

POP! by Catherine Bruton
I didn't want to like the heroine of this book at first, but after just a few pages, she'd sucked me in. Set against a backdrop of strikes, and tensions over immigration, this book has one of the quirkiest and most original plots I've ever read. I just loved it!

Annnd… I think that's it. Phew! What have you been up to this week?

17 comments:

  1. Wow, you have been busy! Now relax ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could… I have 2 events at work next week and the first draft of my WIP to crack on with now. But it's all good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my heavens, I feel so lazy reading this! MY SISTER LIVES ON THE MANTELPIECE has to get my vote for one of the best book titles ever. Incredible xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, Jo, I'll be having a feet-up day today to make up for all the rushing about! And yes, isn't it? I just love that book! x

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you had a great time, Emma! I, like Joanna, feel lazy just reading this. Although I am currently reading GONE GIRL which is superb. Like I-wish-I-could-write-like-this and unreliable narrators and &^^$. I will review it soon.
    I also realized that I did want to do a interview w/the Hound. However I can't open your e-mail on my computer. Can you let me know what it is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Sorry I meant I cannot open the e-mail mailbox on my Mac and can't see what your e-mail address is.

      Delete
    2. Ah, there are *so* many books that make me feel like that! GONE GIRL sounds really good - I'll have to add it to my TBR pile.

      Sorry you've had problems with the email - it's emmapassauthor@emmapass.com. The Hound is looking forward to hearing from you! :)

      Delete
  5. I feel tired just reading about how your day went - Love the hound by the way; is it as freindly as it looks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly is. He's a typical Hound - a big softie! :)

      Delete
  6. Such impressive productivity Emma! Tad jealous you got to meet three outstanding YA authors (though Phil Earle is visiting my school next year, hopefully). Also really good to hear your own school talks have been successful. It bodes well! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joe - if only I could be that productive EVERY week, ha ha! Back to normal this Sunday, though. Hope you enjoy Phil's visit - he's ace!

      Delete
  7. Gosh what a packed post! Love that you include Saving Daisy. Gritty and hard-hitting is good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw! Brookfield visit sounds fab. I'd have snuck in if I'd known choccie biccies were on the menu! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Abi. Sorry I didn't save you any! ;)

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on the website. I couldn't comment on that post for some reason. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eek, only just seen your comment - sorry! Thank you. :)

      Delete