Wednesday 14 November 2012

20 Books for 2012 - the Penultimate Post!

I realised yesterday that I'm long overdue for a 20 Books for 2012 post, and as there's only a few weeks left before the end of the year, I thought I'd better get off my you-know-what and get one written. For anyone who hasn't seen my original post, back in June, I took the Bookstart 20 Books for 2012 pledge and promised to share 20 children's and YA books on my blog. You can see all the books I've talked about so far on this page, and here are the next batch!

Abi Burlingham – A Mystery for Megan (Buttercup Magic)

When Megan and her family move to Buttercup House, she soon finds a friend in Freya, the girl next door. But a new friend is not the only surprise that awaits Megan; there’s the treehouse, some mice with magical powers, an extraordinary cat and a very special dog called Buttercup. This is a gorgeous book for 6-9-year-olds, or anyone who still remembers what it was like to be that age, about friendship, secrets and the power of using your imagination. I devoured it in hours and can’t recommend it highly enough!



Ali Sparkes – Frozen in Time

It’s the summer holidays, and Ben and Rachel are bored... until they find a secret vault buried at the bottom of their garden. Inside are the cryonically suspended figures of Polly and Fred, a boy and girl their own age, who were put there by their father in 1956, only for him to disappear and leave them frozen in time. This is a thrilling adventure for anyone who was or is a fan of Enid Blyton, following the ups and downs of Polly and Fred’s adjustment to twenty-first century life, and their search for answers about what happened to their father as they’re hunted down by sinister Soviet officials...


Chris Haughton - Oh No, George!

This is possibly my favourite picture book EVER. When Harris goes out to the shops, George, his dog, promises to be good. And he tries – he really does. But there’s the cake... and the cat... and some earth that’s just asking to be dug... You can probably guess the rest. Being a Hound minion dog owner myself, I could really relate to this book and just adored the bright, quirky illustrations, especially on the last page!


Ali Lewis – Everybody Jam

Danny lives in the middle of the Australian outback, and last year, his brother was killed in an accident. But nobody talks about it. His fourteen-year-old sister is pregnant, the rains haven’t come and as the annual cattle muster draws near, knowing he has his brother’s shoes to fill only increases the pressure on Danny. Then an English backpacker, hired by his mother to help out, arrives, a secret is revealed, and suddenly, the cracks are too big to paper over any more. This is a funny, gritty coming-of-age YA novel which I absolutely loved.


Jean-Claude Mourvelat – Winter Song
Originally published in France, this book is a dystopian YA with some fantasy elements blended in, set in a fictional country in a wintry, bleak world. A sinister force called The Phalange have seized power, and four teenagers, Milena, Bartolomeo, Helen, and Milos, must escape from their prison-like boarding schools in to help join the fight against the authorities, who killed their parents many years before. I’m not usually a huge fan of translated books, but this had been done incredibly well and I was captivated by the story and the imagery the writing conjured up.
 
 
Andy Mulligan – Trash

Raphael, Gardo and Rat live on a rubbish site, eking out a living by sorting through the mountains of trash other people have thrown away. Then, one day, he finds a bag containing something which leads him to an exciting and special discovery. But he’s not the only person after the bag’s contents, and soon he and his friends are playing a cat-and-mouse game with the authorities, who will stop at nothing to get what they want. Apparently this novel was inspired by the time the author spent in the Philippines (although it isn’t specifically set there), and gives a real insight into the grinding poverty many people in the real world are forced to live in, yet it manages to be incredibly hopeful.

So, just four more books to go and I'll have fulfilled my pledge. Hurrah! What about you? What are you reading at the moment that's just too good to keep to yourself? Tell me in the comments!

16 comments:

  1. Am reading an old Margaret Atwood for a book group at the moment.

    But recently I read Alan Hollinghurst's The Stranger's Child - huge, but wonderful. I'm still thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard good things about Alan Hollinghurst - will have to try him. Thanks, Jo!

      Delete
  2. The best book I have read this year has to be A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness & Siobhan Dowd.
    Can't really say too much or I shall start blubbing at my desk! Suffice to say it simultaneously broke my heart and healed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved The Truth about Celia Frost by Paula Rawsthorne. Twists and turns in the plot, and an ending which really made me think. Thanks for recommending it Emma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing, isn't it? Looking forward to hearing Paula on Friday!

      Delete
  4. Aw, Em! Thanks for this. Chuffed to bits! My best read this year has without doubt been 'The House That Groaned', a graphic novel by Karrie Fransman, and published by your very own Random House! It's incredibly original, quirky, bizaree and darkly funny - all of which I love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Abi! The House That Groaned sounds ace - I'll have to check it out!

      Delete
  5. I've been so busy these past few weeks that I haven't read any where near enough and now you're making me feel guilty. Stop it. Oh, and you've reminded me that I STILL haven't put A Mystery for Megan on my kindle. Better put that right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tsk. Anyone would think you'd been WRITING or something! ;)

      Delete
  6. A Mystery for Megan was a big hit with my 9 year old, so I'm glad to see it's on your list! A perfect story for that age group. And at the moment I'm reading through The Hunger Games which my older daughter recommends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fab, isn't it, Carolyn (and I promise Abi didn't slip me an envelope of used tenners to put it on there!). Love the Hunger Games too!

      Delete
  7. Ooh, these all sound wonderful!

    Right now I'm on a re-reading kick - I'm currently re-reading Robin McKinley's Spindle's End for the 5th time. Lovely and comforting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read that yet, Stephanie, but it sounds great - will add it to the gigantic TBR pile!

      Delete
  8. I'm determined to replace 'Oh No, George! with 'I Want My Hat Back' by Jon Klassen as your favourite picture book ever - it's headwobblingly (is that a word?!) funny! By far the best present my son got this Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noooo, you'll never replace 'Oh No, George!'… not in this house, anyway! :o) But 'I Want My Hat Back' is awesome too! (And yes, headwobblingly is a word, and yes, I'm going to steal it!)

      Delete